I learned alot from my Bible reading/SOAP(search blog for more info) journaling today.
My verse today was Isaiah 40:31, “But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.”
O(observation of the verse)- those who trust in God find strength to do life.
A(application)- I love how this translation says “find new strength” instead of renew their strength. An interesting angle. There is new strength for the future and when needed. Even when it feels like my strength is gone- it says I can find new strength.
Find implies searching to me- like I need to look for something that may be hidden. Seek and you will find. My strength is found in the Lord.
Ways I can find His strength for my life:
- get alone, sit and rest in Him. The discipline of silence and solitude has been so strengthening for my faith. I feel like God has been teaching me so much through it so that is why I write about it alot(search silence and solitude on my blog to read more)
- pray, take my cares to Him and leave them with him. Sometimes when I begin to worry about something, it helps me to imagine me tying some helium balloons to that worry and think as though I am releasing that to float up to God who can carry my worries better than I can. I often like to hold onto to worries and dwell on them so this helps.
- sing praise songs. My soul finds strength in the One I sing to. It lifts my spirits to crank it up in my minivan 🙂 or living room.
- becoming a wiser steward with my time and schedule by embracing more discipline in my life. I find strength increases when I do so. I find more strength to do things because I am not letting my time being sucked up by fleeting things. Being more intentional with my time helps. Listening to http://simplelifetogether.com/losing-focus-even-ben-franklin-had-a-to-do-list/ helped me lots.
- becoming a wiser steward of my body by eating right, exercising and getting enough sleep. Often we forget we have both a body and soul and that both can be used to glorify and honor God. The way we take care of our body can be worship to God. I can honor God by caring for the body he gave me. I read a whole chapter on that in one of my favorite books, Sacred Rhythms
- in His Word(the Bible). I find strength in listening to messages, reading it, journaling on it, memorizing it(so I believe what God says instead of the lies I may hear and believe- knowing what God says about me instead of the negative mental chatter I may hear), and writing it in places(mirrors with dry erase) where I can see and read it often.