Why I Love the Thrift Store:
Not just any thrift store but the ones operated by the Durham Rescue Mission here in Durham. Some of my top reasons:
- All the money I spend goes to funding the Mission. The mission helps people rebuild their lives whether there are homeless, addicted, victim of abuse etc.
- You can’t beat the deals. More on that later.
- I am not fueling the American consumerism that demands more and more products be made. I often worry about the clothing in stores because they can be made by small kids and underpaid adults in 3rd world countries. But I am not perfect in this. I do not solely buy local or used- I still shop major chain stores. And I don’t judge others who do. Just trying to make a some impact for good.
- It is so much fun for me. Like a challenge to find a sweet deal. It’s really treasure hunting. But for some it is hell, and I get that. 🙂
- My kids love the hunt too, in the toy section. A bag of toys for a buck is a treasure. But we have a rule, One in/One out. So for every item in, they have to find one to donate themselves.
- They always have cool coupons or sales on already great deals
So I donated $38.00 to the Durham Rescue Mission and it return received:
- 6 hoodies(a kids Duke hoodie could easily be $30 new at a store, as well as abercombie or old navy etc).
- 1 pair of kids soccer cleats
- 1 pair of kids sneakers
- 6 kids books(character ones like Gossiping, obeying etc. )
- 4 tall candles
- 2 candle holders
- 1 denim dress
- 3 long sleeves
- 2 bags of toys
The thrill never gets old. I don’t shop looking for name brands because those do not matter to me. But cool when I find them because I can feel it is good quality.