So not sure why I am writing this because I am soooo not the master of this. But I have been sick of the way my mornings are going. They are frantic, rushed, so not peaceful, and everyone starts off in a grumpy mood. So I resolved yesterday to make a change to our routine so we can start with peace and joy. I can share what I am learning even though most my mornings feel frantic. I listened to a podcast on simplifying your mornings(Simple Life Together, Episode 15 and here is a link to the blogpost on it http://simplelifetogether.com/slt-015-creating-your-morning-routine-and-living-without-a-printer/. I love their podcast, it is so life giving and inspiring me towards simplicity. Here is much of what I learned from there. I will try to keep it brief, for more details read or listen to her stuff.
Keys to a more peaceful morning for me:
1. Get my butt out of bed before the kids get up. Yesterday morning I allowed my kids to wake me. not good. I prefer being up an hour or two before the kids so I can have me time.
2. Write out a routine and stick to it.
- I had to decide the key things I want to get done each morning, put an estimated time for how it each task takes and then I added lots of margin time(50 minutes extra) because something always comes up
- Everyone is different. Start small and work up to adding more to your list if youre overwhelmed.
- I have 10 things I want to get to in the mornings. I got to 7 today.
- Workout with Jeremy(30-45 minutes)
- SOAP(search my blog for more info)- basically read my Bible and journal. I am loving the Unglued devotional plan right now on youversion
- Pray with Jeremy, take a few minutes to hear what each other needs prayer for the day and pray for each other
- Drink a glass of OJ(helps with cursed kidney stones(tmi) and brush teeth
- Get ready(dress, makeup-if i wear it that day, hair). Most days it is yoga pants and a ponytail.
- Make bed(Never really done this consistently but it really makes a room look better!)
- Review the day’s to do list(this blogger recommends writing out 3-4 keys things that must be done, and write it out the night before like on a postit)
- Dinner Prep(take chicken out of freezer, or start crock pot etc.)
- Chores( I have broken my house stuff into days so only need to do 2 a day)
- Juice(its not delicious- but we need it since we dont eat enough veggies or fruit)
- Hannah and I did this for her too. Her list is smaller and different. Her last thing is chores. I would much rather her read her Bible devotion than her chores, if I had to choose one that I wanted her to do before school. Ideally I want both done- but in the grand scheme of life I choose her heart growing.
- Joy has a list with pictures we drew
- Hannah and I just use a 3×5 card, with each task numbered. mine is 1-10, hers is 1-7. There are not time assigned like 7:00-7:15 but instead the time it takes for each one like Brush teeth- 5 minutes
- This morning Hannah said this morning went so well because no one was yelling at her to get her stuff done. She was able to stay focused since she had a list. But she is also older, it helps.
- We like to play praise/worship- gets our hearts focused on God and his goodness.
- Or fun dance music, dancing makes everyone happier 🙂