“May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.” This was a cool verse that I found in the book of Philemon, chapter 1 and verse 25.
It often helps me when I journal (search soap on my blog) to look up the definition of a word. It brings such a depth and more understanding.
The definition of grace:
- the free and unmerited favor of God, as manifested in salvation of sinners and the bestowal of blessings. (Kimi translation= God offers the free gift of eternal life to a messed up person like myself through trusting in Jesus death on the cross to pay for my junk)
- unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
I then wanted to look up the definition of favor:
- an attitude of approval or liking
- an act of kindness beyond what is due or usual
- approving consideration or attention
Aren’t these all things we wish for ourselves? Don’t we all want favor, grace and blessing from God? These are also things I wish for others. This is a great verse to pray for oneself and others. A cool to encourage others with. It is a uplifting verse to include in a card to someone.
So these things I want God to give to me. As I think about, I also hope to receive these things from others. When I screw up, I hope someone gives me grace and undeserved forgiveness. Who doesn’t want approval and liking? But I have learned that my soul pursuit needs to seek affirmation from the Lord and not be consumed whether or not people approve of me.
So as I wish to receive these things from others, I should also seek to be a person who freely gives out grace, favor and kindness.
Jesus, help me to be a person who oozes your grace in my words and actions.