What I Do When I Feel Overwhelmed(Trying to :)
My house on most days, all flat surfaces covered in stuff. Big mess.
So I say Lord, where do I start?
That question answers it, I start with prayer and God. A prayer asking for divine strength.
Then I turn on some praise music, crank it up, sing loud. For a moment I want to meet with God and let the yelling kids fade to the background. 🙂 The songs that come on have lyrics like:
– “there I find you in the mystery of oceans deep. My faith will stand.” from one of fav songs ever
Oceans by Hillsong
– “deliver me from all the madness. You’re the one to pull me through.”
Deliver Me by David Crowder remix
1. Roll with it. Embrace it and be able to laugh about it. The alternative is to cry about it, which is totally ok if I need that release in the moment. But then blow the boogers and laugh that:
- I am still in my pjs
- haven’t showered in days
- haven’t brushed my teeth yet
- have a disturbing amount on orange mold growing
- a common question when hubby comes home, “hmmm….what’s that smell?” Likely answers:stinky pee filled pullup in the trash, the moldy orange that I have not noticed for days maybe weeks, etc
- there is a good chance the house will still look like this tomorrow and the next 2 years or 2 decades while kids are at home
- I have also forgot to put on deodorant this morning
- I can’t get rid of the pee smell in the bathroom(thanks to a toddler boy:)
- my 4 yearold asked, “Why do you wear that(a fav hoodie) everyday?”
- my 4 year old asked me while getting ready for my doctor appointment, “Is it church today?” Because that is usually when I actually get dressed, do my hair and wear makeup. 🙂 It is my chance to get dolled up and do something out of the ordinary.
I don’t know about you but I would rather be laughing then crying.
2. Flip your perspective
- For each thing I complain about, flip it and find something to be thankful for and to praise God for. True my house is a mess but thank you God that I have a home, many moms cannot say that
- True my kids are bickering but most the time they are sweet to each other
- True I have moldy produce but thank you God that I have the means to buy healthy for my family
- True I haven’t showered but thank you God that I have plumbing and clean water when I get to it
- True my house will constantly be messy but I have the opportunity to be home with my kids
- What are you afraid of?
- What am I sad about?
- What am I angry about?
- What are you enjoying?
- What are you surprised by?
- What disgusts you?
Books that help when feeling overwhelmed as a mom:
Dad is Fat
Supermom vs Super Mom